Opened up an old hard drive and photographed the inside. I had opened it a long time ago and it had been sitting on a shelf in my office for a while, not a good thing for a shiny surface that you want to photograph up real close. I cleaned it as good as I could but there was still a lot of cleaning up to be done in post production as well.Next I’ll try one that was closed and has multiple platters.
Lit with two Elinchrom BX500Ri’s and some Styrofoam. Thirty second exposure to get the fluorescent effect. Was a lot of trial and error to get the lighting nice. The bokehlicious background is a glitter sheet of paper I got at the craft store the other day, gives it a bit more life than just black or white.
Got some hardware problems this weekend. Bought a wireless network card for my PC but it kept crashing my computer during the driver install and would stop Windows from starting. Since my PC was getting bloated a bit and I wanted to replace my system disk anyway to increase its size so I can make it a dual boot with Linux, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 7 and see if that would solve the problems with the network card. No such luck, time to get in contact with Intel support to see if this thing can work with my PC at all. Now I am back to the USB wireless doohickey that craps out every so often and have some catching up to do on the daily posts.
Shooting the mother board of the first computer I ever build was an interesting exercise, it’s not just finding the interesting patterns but also lighting them so they don’t fall totally flat. Been playing with one snooted light so far, will try a soft box next.